Re: Neil Carroll's last IAS Newsletter

  • Subject: Re: Neil Carroll's last IAS Newsletter
  • From: "Dany Hervelle" <bs246466@skynet.be>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 23:46:37 -0500 (CDT)

Hello to all

I am very in accord with you wilbert.!!'simply' plants lover' are most of
the time not take
in correct serious and that's why i really thanks some  plant man like
Joseph Bogner,Alistair Hay or
Tom Croat from who i always had receiving a reply of ,or a letter,or an
email!Someone who have a large collection of a genera,for instance,have a
very great knowledge of this genera with the years.Sure that help from a
scientific is ofen necessary,but sure also
that a simply collector may also give help to scientific.The 2 are i think
complementary.
I remember long years agoo when i first was interesting about aroid,specialy
the genus
alocasia.I have writing hundreds of letters to have rarely only a reply.Now
that i have an extensive collection of that genus(near than 100 species and
cvs),sometime only i feel to be taking in serious!Sure that have a large
collection is not an absolue referance,but
sure also that be a collector today is so far differant that be a collector
only 50 years agoo!Now you love your plants,but you also try to know
them,try to make them know by others,try to make the best way to grow
them,try to know from where they come,to  know how they are use in the
origin country,etc...,so is it not in some way a kind of study,research,
in our level?Now,i have regular exchange with few botanical garden(with most
of bt,it is always no reply),and  never my
knowledge of 'my' genera was negative,offen the inverse.All that to say that
if most of us are not 'Dr',we offen know correctly our plants!So collector
and Dr,same fight in some..!
One thing also,about the rain forest...,yes i want to go to the rainforest
to see,get and pick plant!But if i 'll take plants there,sure that it will
be not me who will made the rainforest in danger.Just a question:how manys
aroiders are on the list?If you think that all of them will go one time in
the rainforest to pic plants there,sure that it will not be a lot of
people!I really don't think that the people who collect plants may cause
really dommage in the forest, if this is not made in a commercial way (a
lot).Most of the plants that are lost are with the destruction of the
natural habitat.And if one day this habitat may be restaured,sure that the
plants that i had take there will be again avalable,and
in plus multiplicate,because the 'plant lover' Love the plants,and made all
the best care,more that mother nature may do...And i love mother nature!
Good growin' to all
P.S.Excuse me all please for my bad english!
dany Hervelle