Re: more on the shakey amorph

  • Subject: Re: more on the shakey amorph
  • From: mburack@mindspring.com
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 10:15:00 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Carol,

Unfortunately I have had my share of experience with this.  As a matter of fact, last night a wonderful Florida rainstorm came through with some peaceful, calm 40+ mile an hour winds.

10+ plants were sheared into the oblivion... this happens to me with some frequency.  Usually for me (if there is a tuber left) it will stay down until the next year (and of course usually rot or dessicate before it gets to that point), or generally just die completely.

I think only once or twice have I seen a new leaf come up (my experience in these situations), and it happened only when the tuber was quite large.

I swear I dont understand how these things ever made it through the evolutionary process..... what plant makes one leaf per year? Dont animals or storms destroy these things in the wild like they do in cultivation???!!!!!???

aroid-l@mobot.org wrote:
> Per Wilbert's instructions, I repotted my amorphophallus that was loose in
its pot -- but not before I left town for the weekend.  When I returned,
the poor thing had fallen over again and been trampled by dogs (my own, I'm
afraid.)  So my repotted plant is a bit bedraggled.

My question is, what happens to an amorph when its solitary leaf gets
smooshed?  Will it form another growing point, limp through the season with
ratty foliage, or (God forbid) *die*?

Meanwhile, my A. konjac that had seemed slow resurrecting is putting out
such a new growth that I'm afraid its next step will be world domination.

Carol Ann
Nashville