GA3 in seed germination

  • Subject: GA3 in seed germination
  • From: Iza & Carol Goroff <goroff@idcnet.com>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 17:25:06 -0500 (CDT)

A typical dose for seeds is from 250 to 1000 parts/million. 1 gram should last much, much longer. The use of GA3 was thoroughly investigated by Dr. Norman Deno in his Seed Germination and Practice (and in two subsequent supplements), where he investigated various
approaches for germinating over 5,000 species of plants. GA3 does not easily dissolve in water. I cannot find my copy of Seed Germination and Practice to give the the procedure for its dilution, although in the supplements he has no problem germinating the aroids listed
without the use of GA3, instead using different temperature/time patterns.

My suggestion is to NOT put all of your eggs (seeds) in one basket. While GA3 works wonders with some species, others are killed.

Iza Goroff
Whitewater Wisconsin

Perhaps someone