Re: Re: 6-benzylamino purine (question)

  • Subject: Re: Re: 6-benzylamino purine (question)
  • From: mburack@mindspring.com
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 09:23:55 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Scott,

Based on the info you sent, I think that GA is really more in line what I am looking for....

I purchased some yesterday although it seemed more expensive than I thought... I paid $25 for 1 gram.  I really dont know if that is expensive or not, but obviously since I am going to use small amounts per application, 1 gram should be good for anywhere from 5-8 uses.

I am hoping the results are worth it....I will keep you informed.

Thanks again!

aroid-l@mobot.org wrote:
> Marc,

In addition to the good information that Bernhard Strolka gave us on BA use,
especially the in vitro application, BA was used commercially by aroid
foliage plant liner producers back in the early 90s to promote axillary
shoot (sucker) growth to get a more full liner.  The hormone was very
inexpensive then and gave fairly good results.  Jake Henny of the University
of Florida, Mid Florida Research and Education Center, did much of the
research on this application.

If you are specifically interested in stimulating seed germination, you will
want to investigate the use of gibberellic acid (GA).  GA3 is usually
commercially available, and it is usually inexpensive.  There is some
information on the Web at
http://koning.ecsu.ctstateu.edu/Plants_human/seedgerm.html and at
http://www.crfg.org/tidbits/gibberellic.html.

Another research area that Jake Henny has worked on is the use of GA in
stimulating the flowering of aroids, an important technique useful in
hybridizing.

Regards, Scott

Mr. Scott Hyndman
International Aroid Society Web Site