Re: More Synandrospadix

  • Subject: Re: More Synandrospadix
  • From: "Eduardo Goncalves" <edggon@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 23:50:24 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Ron,

   In the countries where S. vermitoxicus is native (Northern Argentina,
Paraguay and Bolivia), it is used against "worms" (in fact, it is used
against ectoparasites like fly larvae). They grate the tubers (poor tubers)
and put it directly on the wounds. Considering that Synandrospadix is a
close relative of Dieffenbachia (the dangerous dumb-cane), poor worms too!
Interestingly, there is another close relative called Gorgonidium
vermicidum, also used against worms in Andean countries. If it is effective,
we do not know, because studies on the pharmacological aspects of aroids are
scanty. Maybe someday...

                              Very best wishes,