Xanthosoma

  • Subject: Xanthosoma
  • From: "Eduardo Goncalves" <edggon@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 22:19:57 -0500 (CDT)

Dear aroiders,

    I have checked the marvelous Lester´s site (see the link below) and have
found that there is a small error at the main page. The plant featured there
is Xanthosoma atrovirens, not X. violaceum. Despite the leaves really LOOK
violaceum (i.e. somewhat purplish), most of the aspect is given by the
combination of the dark green color (i.e. atro - black, virens - green) plus
the wax effect at the surface (that make it appear somewhat blue). However,
the petioles are green, and if we could see the main ribs below, they would
appear green, not purplish. Both species are usually confused there in
U.S.A., because both are usually sold with the same common names. If you
want to see a real X. violaceum, take a look at Krzysztof´s page in:

http://u1.netgate.net/~kk/Araceae/Xanthosoma/violaceum.html

     Compare both pictures and you will never confuse them again.

     Still on Xanthosomas, I have seen comments about the "Golden"
Xanthosoma in this list. I have seen it cultivated here in Brazil and I also
have some plants in my own collection (Xanthosoma is my favourite aroid).
The biggest individuals I have seen are cultivated at the Burle Marx
collection, and they became less golden with age. I have seen even flowering
individuals there, but I still couldn´t find out what the hell is this
plant! I am preparing an article ´bout the cultivated Xanthosoma, maybe to
be submitted to Aroideana 2002, so I HAVE to discover it someday! By now, I
think it is a form of the common X. sagittifolium, but I am not 100% sure.
In fact, I am not even 60% sure... Did someone mention 40% sure?

                                 Best wishes,

                                         Eduardo.