hort.net Seasonal photo, (c) 2006 Christopher P. Lindsey, All Rights Reserved: do not copy
articles | gallery of plants | blog | tech blog | plant profiles | patents | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
Gallery of Plants
Tech Blog
Plant Profiles
Mailing Lists
    Search ALL lists
    Search help
    Subscription info
Top Stories
sHORTurl service
Tom Clothier's Archive
 Top Stories
New Trillium species discovered

Disease could hit Britain's trees hard

Ten of the best snowdrop cultivars

Plant protein database helps identify plant gene functions

Dendroclimatologists record history through trees

Potato beetle could be thwarted through gene manipulation

Hawaii expands coffee farm quarantine

Study explains flower petal loss

RSS story archive

Dewey, your web site has a serious problem with an easy fix.

  • Subject: Dewey, your web site has a serious problem with an easy fix.
  • From: Krzysztof Kozminski <kk@kozminski.com>
  • Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 13:12:35 -0500 (CDT)

I am CC'ing this to the entire list, so that other people setting up their
web pages know how to avoid the problem described below...

On Tue, 7 May 2002 araceae@earthlink.net wrote:

>                         Your Source for Tropical Araceae
>                                     go to
>                        http://home.earthlink.net/~araceae/

Dewey, all photos on your web site load into Netscape 4.79 under Unix as a
binary gobbledygook.  The only way to view them is to download them to my
hard disk, rename the file by adding appropriate extension, and load the
downloaded image.  Way too much work.  Incidentally, Netscape's behavior
is consistent with the HTTP protocol, since the photos are sent out by the
earthlink's server as text/plain (it should be sent as image/jpeg), which
tells the browser to display it as 8-bit text.

You are probably using Micro$oft Exploder, the behavior of which is not
consistent with the standards and happens to load the photos OK, but a
lot of people use other browsers, and will find your site barely usable.

To be correctly recognized by all browsers, the photos should have the
extension .JPG or .JPEG and, preferably, should have no white space in the
file names.  For example, the file storing the image of Alocasia
clypeolata is named:

	"Pictures_for_Web_SENT/Alocasia_clypeolata "

(quotes above are only to show the trailing space in the file name). It
should be:


This will require renaming of all image files, and fixing all hyperlinks
in the main index...


PS: I made the exact same mistake years ago when I set up my pages for the
first time...

"Micro$oft is to software what McDonalds is to gourmet cooking"

Krzysztof Kozminski

 © 1995-2017 Mallorn Computing, Inc.All Rights Reserved.
Our Privacy Statement
Other Mailing lists | Author Index | Date Index | Subject Index | Thread Index