Advice on jack-in-the-pulpit

  • Subject: Advice on jack-in-the-pulpit
  • From: "Kathy Kempf" <wont_read101@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 13:34:53 -0500 (CDT)

Several years ago, I purchased 2 from a native plant rescue society.  One of
them settled in within a couple of years, and has since female flowered
reliably, and even formed seed last year.

The other, planted about 30 feet away, has not accepted its new home as
well.  I know there was one tuber in each pot.  This second one now has 3
separate leaf stalks, each about 3" apart, but has never even formed male
flowers, much less female.  It emerges a week or more after the happy one,
and goes dormant a few weeks later.

My question: when can I move it?  I know part of the reason it has not
thrived is because there are toad lilies too close, and those would be
impossible to eradicate from the area.  I have (kind of) scractched around
the area where the tubers are when they are dormant, but haven't found them;
I am afraid of damaging them.  Should I throw caution to the wind and dig
them up now (they just emerged last Wednesday), or wait?

Any thoughts would be welcome.

The contented clump has neighbors, also, but they do not seem to be causing
it lack of nutrients or moisture or other necessities; it has also split
into two, both of which are currently flowering :)