Re: Ulearum donburnsii

  • Subject: Re: Ulearum donburnsii
  • From: "Randall M. Story" <story@caltech.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 14:00:58 -0500 (CDT)

Really??  WOW!! I was under the impression that A. bulbifer was sterile due
to a chromosome count 2n = 39 (mentioned in Wilbert's Aroideana article
excerpt: http://www.aroid.org/genera/amorphophallus/amcult.html ) and that
it produced seed only vegetatively.  Did the pollen come from the Ulearum or
the Amorphophallus?

Does that mean there is hope for other intergeneric hybrids?  I have some
Sauromatum pollen as well as more Sauromatums, a Dracunculus and unless I am
mistaken, an A. bulbifer about to bloom.

The A. bulbifer is from a 3 inch (7.5 cm) tuber (purchased from Odyssey
bulbs) and has what I think are a growing peduncle and unopened spathe of
approximately 2 1/2 inches (6 cm) and 3 inches (7.5 cm) respectively.  It
shows no sign of root development and appears very different from another A.
bulbifer which I believe is putting up a leaf.

A question on the A. bulbifer:  If I don't remove the inflorescence and it
makes fruits/seeds, will it fail to produce a leaf this year??