Re: What are the criteria for "Zones"?

  • Subject: Re: What are the criteria for "Zones"?
  • From: "Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden" <htbg@ilhawaii.net>
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 21:46:58 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Ron,

Climate zones are also called hardiness zones and generally refer to the
degree of cold, without much reference to degree of warmth.  Frustrating for
those of us in warmer climes, there is very little information on cold
REQUIREMENT of plants.  For example, it seems you are in USDA Climate Zone
9, which is comparable to San Francisco, California.  You would be highly
successful with fuchsia, bulbous begonia, etc.  However, here in Hilo,
Hawaii where the lowest temperature year-round rarely hits 60 F, (15.6 C.),
we cannot grow these beauties and there is little horticultural information
on this so we try and fail... however, with some things we do succeed.  I am
growing a fine example of the Alaskan Cedar (Chamaecyparis nootkatensis f.
pendula) with no problem at all!

Check this website:

www.aroid.org/horticulture/zonemap/europe.html

With all best wishes,