Re: aquatic spathiphyllum

  • Subject: Re: aquatic spathiphyllum
  • From: "Eduardo Goncalves" <edggon@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 18:33:58 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Petra and Ron,

    Just to remember: Spathiphyllum gardneri (from Central Brazil) grows in
river banks and most plants are usually flooded during the rainy season. I
am not meaning a wet foot, but I am talking about completely submerged
plants (sometimes only infructescences out of the water) for a month or two.
In Amazonas state (Brazil), as well as in Venezuela, Spathiphyllum
cannifolium grows in full sunlight in swamps, together with Urospatha and
some Montrichardia. I have also collected Spathiphyllum humboldtii growing
submerged up to the middle of its petioles close to French Guiana. The same
situation in a potential new species of Spathiphyllum in Acre (I think Tom
is describing this one)  that was growing in a completely swampy area. I
have never collected in Costa Rica or Colombia, but all Brazilian species of
Spathiphyllum I have seem are helophytes or rheophytes. In fact, I have
never seen a truly terrestrial Spathiphyllum in Brazil!

                            Best wishes,