Tacca questions (off topic??)

  • Subject: Tacca questions (off topic??)
  • From: "Randall M. Story" <story@caltech.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 14:27:27 -0500 (CDT)

I'm looking for information about Tacca plantaginea (Schizocapsa
plantaginea?).  I get the impression that Tacca used to be considered an
Aroid, but not anymore (please correct me if I am wrong).  Anyway, I picked
up a small seedling of this plant (~3 inch diameter) at last weekend's
Huntington Botanical Garden (near Los Angeles) plant sale.  I have been able
to find little information about this species and I am curious:  How do I
grow it? (warm and humid? light level?).  Does it look like other Taccas
(i.e. chantrieri).  How long will it take my little plant to reach blooming

It sounds like the history of the classification of this genus is quite
interesting.  I read that at least one species used to be considered closely
related to Amorphophallus (e.g. Dewey Fisk's site)!

Pasadena, California (USDA zone 10/Sunset zone 21, 2 miles from the