Re: aquatic spathiphyllum

  • Subject: Re: aquatic spathiphyllum
  • From: "Ron Iles" <roniles@eircom.net>
  • Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 13:54:04 -0500 (CDT)

Spathiphyllum cannifolium seems often reported as an emersed or
intermittently submerged aquatic.   Could its growth in full sunlight be
made possible by the thick leathery leaves?  Surely the thin leaves of
Section Spathiphyllum species would not tolerate full sunlight?

I have just re-read Deni Bown's magnificent Book & note the aquatic aroid
genera. ANY supplementary observations would be hugely interesting & help me
to find out how those aroids adapt to being fully emersed..

Below is a provisional list of Spathiphyllum species.

Does anyone have ANY habitat & environmental observations please?

Section Massowia (K. Koch) Engler
S. cannaefolium (Dryand.)Schott
S. commutatum Schott
S. laeve Engler
Section Amomophyllum (Engler)
*S. bariense Bunting
* S. cuspidatum Schott
S. floribundum (Lind. et Andre) N.E. Brown
S. floribundum var(?) ex Cali, Colombia (new species?)
S. fulvovirens Schott
*S. gardneri Schott
*S. gracilis Bunting
*S. jejunum Bunting
S. juninense Bunting
*S. kalbreyeri Bunting
*S. lechlerianum Schott ???
*S. liesneri Croat
*S. maguirei Bunting
*S. mawarinumae Bunting
S. minor Bunting
*S. monachinoi Bunting
*S. monachinoi var. monachinoi Bunting
*S. monachinoi var. perangustum Bunting
*S. neblinae Bunting
S. patinii (Hogg) N.E. Brown
*S. patulinervum Bunting??????
*S. perezii Bunting
S. quindiuense Engler
*S. schomburgkii Schott
S. silvicola R.A.Baker
*S. sipapoanum Bunting
*S. tenerum Engl
Section Dysspathiphyllum Engler
*S. humboldtii Schott
Section Spathiphyllum
*S. atrovirens Schott
S. blandum Schott
S. brevirostre (Liebm.) Schott
S. cochlearispathum (Liebm.) Schott
S. friedrichstalii Schott
S. grandifolium Engler
S. kochii Engler & Krause
S. lanceaefolium (Jacq.) Schott
S. matudae Bunting
S. ortgiesii Regel
S. phryniifolium Schott
S. wallisii Regel
S. wendlandii Schott
Section Chlaenophyllum
*S. solomonense Nicolson
Sectional affinity unknown:
*S. schlechteri (Engl. & Krause)

For the starred species, does anyone have live material too in their
Collections, please?

Goodwill to All