RE: Tacca questions (off topic??)

  • Subject: RE: Tacca questions (off topic??)
  • From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" <hetter@worldonline.nl>
  • Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 11:16:01 -0500 (CDT)

Before I end up a Taccophile, here are my last words:
The website www.tacca.de says there is a patent granted in Europe on Tacca. Unfortunately it isn't clear whther the black Tacca is meant or the soon-to-be-released white one. I do know that two black Tacca's have been garnted Plant Breeder's Rights in Europe (which is NOT the same as a plant patent but the website builders may have made a serious mistake here). These Tacca's had been refused before on the grounds of not being uniform enough, which is why they are now multiplied in tissue-culture. I seem to recall that the resultant plant that got the PBR is in fact a hybrid cultivar (it's annoying that the website does not produce the cultivar name), which may explain its unwillingness to seed. So there is a chance we are not talking simple Tacca chantrieri here.
The Plantscope database (www.plantscope.nl) presents two Tacca cultivars, T. chantrieri 'Aameyri' (European PBR filenumber 00/0628) and T. chantrieri 'Lentac'. Whether these do belong to chantrieri is doubtful. 'Aameyri' has a rather small inflorescence with the bracts purple flushed green. In the files of the Euopean PBR office, the cultivar is classified directly under Tacca and not as Tacca chantrieri. The owner is Dutch. The white Tacca is owned by a German company.
T. leontopetaloides is edible.
So much for Tacca.