Re: Aroids growing better in water?

  • Subject: Re: Aroids growing better in water?
  • From: Steve Marak <samarak@arachne.uark.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 16:25:50 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 28 May 2002, ron wrote:

> Re: Aroids growing better in water?Phalanopsis cannot sit in water and
> live very long!!! I hope nobody took you literally.
>
>>   Even epiphytic orchids, apparently.  I saw several yesterday at a
>> friend's--including a Phalaenopsis!
>>>
>>>     I would venture to say that just about ANY plant can be grown in
>>> water (hydroponically).

There are some people over on the cactus & succulent list who swear
they've seen cacti (terrestrial, desert type cacti, not the epiphytic
ones) very happy growing hydroponically.

I wouldn't know myself, but according to one, who seemed pretty
knowledgable, the issue is oxygenation at the roots, or more accurately a
plant's ability to tolerate lack of oxygen in the root zone, not whether
the roots are submerged or not. He claimed that with sufficiently aerated
water, pretty much anything was possible.

Again, I haven't seen it myself, but there's a certain logical consistency
to the idea and it fits with various other things in a pleasing way.

Steve

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@arachne.uark.edu