Aquatic growing

  • Subject: Aquatic growing
  • From: "brian williams" <pugturd50@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 10:45:22 -0500 (CDT)

I thought I would add some of my limited knowledge to the discussion. :>)

I grow many aquatics and love the unusual aquatic aroids. I have been
growing many of these plants in heated trays with about 2inches of water.
All the aquatics love it which are manly Cyrtosperma lasia urospatha anubias
and crypts.

I have been recently using capillary mats on a few tables for starting
cuttings. The tables are covered with plastic and then the capulary mat is
on top. It stays  constantly moist but not actually soaked. This may also
depend on the mix that is being used. But I have found many aroids love this
situation. I have resently been growing philo cutting alocasia lowii and
cyrtosperma and other crypts all on this with the same soil mix. Also a few
anthuriums I had placed on the capulary mat had grown roots to it.

I got the idea from a visit to Tim andersons place and have had great
sucsess with it. I am totally hooked in growing them this way. I think it is
very easy and cheeper than hydro.