Re: IAS Newsletter 2002(1)

  • Subject: Re: IAS Newsletter 2002(1)
  • From: Scott Hyndman <hyndman@aroid.org>
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 10:13:10 -0500 (CDT)

Ron and All,

Thanks for bringing the link problem to my attention.  The link is correct
now, and the 2002 first issue is available to the IAS Members with passwords
at http://www.aroid.org/members/members.html.  The second issue is
forthcoming very soon.  Thank you for your patience.

Also online now is the promised Aglaonema Growers' Notebook by Dr. Roy N.
Jervis at http://www.aroid.org/members/members.html.  If you are not
familiar with this classic aroid book, which has been out of print for over
20 years, this is what the late author said about this fascinating

"This personal notebook on Aglaonemas has been a fun project and is being
shared in the hope that it will help other Aglaonema growers to identify
their plants. Maybe it will encourage others to increase their collections
when they see the choices now available. Maybe, too, it will encourage
growers to try new cultivars augmenting the 10 or 12 plants that are so
common..." R.N. Jervis, November 1, 1980

Dr. B. Frank Brown, author of The Amazing Aglaonema, writes this of Dr.
Jervis and his book:

"Roy N. Jervis was the most impressive individual I ever met. In the
mid-seventies we visited each other back and forth. His interest was in the
newly found Aglaonema which I had collected in the wilds of South East Asia.
My interest was the absolute "awe" over his botanical knowledge of the genus
Aglaonema. His intellect coupled with his scholarship resulted in one of the
most outstanding aroid publications in the 20th Century. Dr. Jervis'
publication as a study of a single genus is without peer in the world of

This publication is provided as a benefit of membership in the International
Aroid Society.  If you are a member and you do not already have access to
the Members' Page, please contact me at hyndman@aroid.org so that I can
register your access.  If you are not a member, but you would like to become
one, please follow the instructions at

Thanks again and best regards,  Scott

Scott Hyndman, President
International Aroid Society