Re: [aroid-l] Dracunculus foliage

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Dracunculus foliage
  • From: Lewandjim@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 07:21:39 EDT

In a message dated 5/1/2003 12:39:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
cjaddington@earthlink.net writes:

>  Last summer I used pollen from one of my heavily white-chevroned
> Dracunculus to pollinate the bloom of a completely non-variegated plant
> just
> as an experiment to see what would happen, such as what is dominant, how
> many babies are chevroned, etc. That pollination produced a huge berry
> cluster that I sprouted on my patio. I now have over a hundred cute little
> mixed-pattern baby Dracunculus, and at this stage (1-2 leaves) not one of
> them shows any white at all. So, either solid green is 100% dominant, or
> babies just don't show any white chevrons. I look forward to rearing them
> up
> to see the percentages of chevroned vs. plain green.

To CJ Addington and interested parties,

Perhaps you should try the reverse cross using a "chevroned" pod parent. The
"science" can get very complicated but if aroids share the three somatic
layers (L1, L2, and L3) that hostas and many other plants have, then
variegated inheritance might best be accomplished this way.

       Jim Langhammer