Re: [aroid-l] Dracunculus foliage

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Dracunculus foliage
  • From: "C. J. Addington" cjaddington@earthlink.net
  • Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 16:37:22 -0700

on 5/1/03 04:21, Lewandjim@aol.com at Lewandjim@aol.com wrote:

> Perhaps you should try the reverse cross using a "chevroned" pod parent. The
> "science" can get very complicated but if aroids share the three somatic
> layers (L1, L2, and L3) that hostas and many other plants have, then
> variegated inheritance might best be accomplished this way.

Hi Jim!
    It never occurred to me that the direction of the pollination might
affect the rate at which the variegation is inherited. Of course, most of
the time I am limited by what I have handy - I use whatever pollen is
currently being dumped by a sexed-up bloom!  : )  If the possibility arises
(and it well may this month as my various plants bloom) I will have to try
that cross in the other direction as you suggest. Also, I will try a direct
chevroned-to-chevroned pollination to see if I can intensify the chevron
effect. Thanks for the ideas!

PS - To all the Helicodiceros fans out there (I had NO idea there were so
many of you!), I think I now have enough people on my offset list for that
species to cover all the potential babies that my clump will produce.
However, I am just approaching my great, annual May and June
rinse-and-sort-athon, and should have lots of extra corms, offsets, seedling
corms and seeds of MANY different species of Arum, Biarum, Dracunculus,
Pinellia and other neat aroids. My garden and patio are only so large! I
would be happy to share and trade all the extras that I end up with. Once I
have a feel for what I have available I will send out some notices, or you
can just email me directly. I just love getting other people to grow some of
the plants that I love so much!

Have a great Mayday everyone!

Cheers!

Christopher "CJ" Addington