[aroid-l] TitanWatch 5/1/03 There's no business like show business

  • Subject: [aroid-l] TitanWatch 5/1/03 There's no business like show business
  • From: "Craig Allen" callen@fairchildgarden.org
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 19:03:07 -0400

TitanWatch 5/1/03 There's no business like show business

Today things don't stink around here for a change. The Amorphophallus gigas, though still tall, dark and handsome, are no longer releasing their evil perfume. The first Amorphophallus titanum is still a week away from its major stench production. At least I think it is a week away. The frill at the top of 'Audrey III's spathe is loosening a bit and the red color is getting more pronounced. Looking up my past recorded observations I see that each time I have bloomed one, I start thinking it will open right away with every new change. You would think I'd be calm about it after observing Titan Lily blooms so many times. But Noooooo...

'Audrey III' had her first television debut this morning. Todd Tongen, Channel 10's reporter famous for the "10 Taxi" magazine segments, came in to film the fledgling film star. He was here for quite some time. I already have e-mails from friends that saw me on TV this afternoon. I've never seen myself on TV, which is a good thing or I would probably never do another. I did see a tape one time. I'll tell y'all one thing for sure, I was NOT born for the spotlight.

The Garden received an e-mail from the Miami NBC, WTVJ night time news anchor, Martha Sugalski. One of her early stories was the first time 'Mr. Stinky' bloomed in 1998. She sent her regards. Being the news anchor she probably doesn't do these type of features anymore, but she was remembering how much fun she had and will send out a crew. She is such a great person and a good sport. Mr. Stinky does makes some nice friends.

Next week some of the cast from the play "Little Shop of Horrors" will be here to meet 'Mr. Stinky' and particularly 'Audrey III'. That should be a lot of fun. Once the Titans become famous stars, will they run off to Broadway and forget all about us here at Fairchild?

I'm heading home now to get some rest. I've got to be chipper tomorrow to receive all of Mr. Stinky's guests.

TitanWatch update:

Mr. Stinky - 42"

Audrey III - 63" and looking real fine

Craig M. Allen