Re: [aroid-l] edible corms

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] edible corms
  • From: ken@spatulacity.com
  • Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 23:18:05 -0400

Absolutely! Amorphophallus konjac is an edible corm! Various Amorphophallus
are consumed in Asia, not only the corms but also the very young petiole
and leaf, before they open. You can make a high carb flour from A. konjac.

That leads me to wonder, though, if you harvest the petiole and young leaf,
will the corm send up a second leaf or is the growing point now gone and
the corm will die in the ground? The web site I was on referred to people
stir frying the Amorphophallus leaves, but didn't mention any details of
the "farming" operation.

-Ken Mosher