Re: [aroid-l] edible corms

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] edible corms
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 05:03:23 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: <ken@spatulacity.com>
To: <aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 11:18 PM

Dear Les and Ken,

Edible rhizomes would be Xanthosoma (the 'malangas'), ginger 'root', etc.!
When the young leaves are harvested from Amorphophallus, another leaf is
produced.   We must presume that there are MANY plants being grown in a
field, so the same young leaf is not repeatedly harvested from the same
tuber, much like the harvesting in my native land of young leaves from a
stand of Colocasia for Sunday 'calaloo'.   The people who use Amorphophallus
leaves probably choose the smaller, more tender leaves from 'attending'
smaller tubers growing near to and around the main plant, which does not
affect the main tuber production.

> Absolutely! Amorphophallus konjac is an edible corm! Various
> are consumed in Asia, not only the corms but also the very young petiole
> and leaf, before they open. You can make a high carb flour from A. konjac.
> That leads me to wonder, though, if you harvest the petiole and young
> will the corm send up a second leaf or is the growing point now gone and
> the corm will die in the ground? The web site I was on referred to people
> stir frying the Amorphophallus leaves, but didn't mention any details of
> the "farming" operation.
> -Ken Mosher
> Lester Kallus wrote:
> >
> > We all know onions so there's the great example of bulbs and we all know
potatos so we know tubers.  I grow Canna so understand rhizomes but have
never thought of an edible example of thizomes.  More importantly, though,
is there an edible corm?