Re: [aroid-l] Selloum/Bipinnatifidum

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Selloum/Bipinnatifidum
  • From: "Eduardo Goncalves" edggon@hotmail.com
  • Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 17:10:42 +0000

Dear Leslie,

Well, there is a serious problem on it. Taxonomically, P. selloum and P. bipinnatifidum are the same thing. (Check it out in Aroideana 25) However, there are at least two species being sold as P. selloum: P. mello-barretoanum and P. lundii, and also a few different forms of P. bipinnatifidum itself. All seeds look the same and I have germinated real P. bipinnatifidum many times with no stratification. I donīt believe that people there in colder areas have developed forms that requires stratification, but who knows? Well, you can have two forms of P. bipinnatifidum, or one of them can be P. mello-barretoanum or P. lundii... Or maybe none of them are the real P. bipinnatifidum... My advice is: Plant both batches of seeds as indicated, wait until they grow and observe a few features on stems and petioles, so it is up to you to ID:

Stems with soft and easily detachable "scales" and petiole concave above..... P.bipinnatifidum
(there are forms with green, reddish or almost coppery or maroon spathe)

Stems with hard and not easily detachable "scales" and petiole concave above ... P. mello-barretoanum

Stems without persistent "scales" and petiole flattened adaxially ................. P. lundii

Very best wishes,

Could someone please tell me what the difference between Philodendron Selloum and Philodendron Bipinnafididum is? I ordered a packet of each type of seed, they look the same, but the Bipinnatifidum says it needs stratification before planting. When I researched these plants, they appear to be identical. So, what, exactly, do I have? Thank you! Leslie