Re: [aroid-l] Selloum/Bipinnatifidum

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Selloum/Bipinnatifidum
  • From: Susan snalice@dslextreme.com
  • Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 11:34:15 -0700

When I ordered philodendron from Alvim Seidel the first time, I ordered P.
selloum, P. bipinnatifidum, and also P. Sao Paulo.  I thought I was going to get
totally different plants.  I don't know if I'm right on all of this, but from
what I've been able to figure out, selloum and bipinnatifidum are synonomous.  I
think Sao Paulo is another variety of splitleaf philodendron.  However, Sao
Paulo might be just another name for P. bipinnatifidum, but this is for someone
else to say.  This year I ordered another split leaved Pilodendron that is very
similar to these three called P. lundii.  I did find that P. lundii is a
different 'looking' form of bipinnatifidum.  Maybe more compact, bushy?
Selloum/bipinnatifidum will grow into a tree form with a trunk in time.

Someone else on the list might be able to clear this up.  I would be interested
in knowing the true facts on the splitleaf philodendrons also.

Hope this helps,
Susan Cox

5/8/03 6:15:22 AM, Leslie Georgeson <skinnychick2@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Could someone please tell me what the difference between Philodendron Selloum
and Philodendron Bipinnafididum is?  I ordered a packet of each type of seed,
they look the same, but the Bipinnatifidum says it needs stratification before
planting.  When I researched these plants, they appear to be identical.  So,
what, exactly, do I have?   Thank you! Leslie