Re: [aroid-l] Selloum/Bipinnatifidum

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Selloum/Bipinnatifidum
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 16:04:23 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Susan" <snalice@dslextreme.com>
To: <aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu>
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2003 2:34 PM

Dear Susan,

I`m going to take this opportunity to put in a plug for our International
Aroid Society!    If you are or become a member ($20.00/year), you will have
access to some fantastic information by authors like Dr. Eduardo Goncalves
who, in the latest issue of our journal '"Aroideaea" published a most
interesting paper on this group of Philodendron species.   In the previous
journal there was another paper also with great information, photos and
illustrations also on species within this group of Philodendrons!
In reading Eduardo`s note to you and the list, and reading his truncated
'key' to the species in this group, it would seem to me that based on his
comments about P. mello-barretoanum, with its hard scales on its stem that
do not easily detach (I have received a pretty severe laceration on my hand
caused by my careless handling of a plant by these spine/knife-like
scales!!), it, and NOT p. bipinnatifidum  is the species in massive
tissue-culture cultivation here in the U.S.A.    As seen in the latest issue
of Aroideana, our paper describing P. xanadu as a good species, hehein S.
Florida the 'local' and very common Philodendron which is sold locally as P.
'selloum' but which for years was thought to be P. bipinnatifidum, has a
huge spathe with a green exterior, and persistent and HARD spines on its
stem.    Eduardo says that in true P. bipinnatifidum the spathe can vary in
color, so my question is what color spathe does P. mello-barretoanum have?
Remember, my friends, the study of aroids is far from complete, we are
learning new 'stuff' every day!

Julius
WPB, Florida.

> Leslie,
>
> When I ordered philodendron from Alvim Seidel the first time, I ordered P.
> selloum, P. bipinnatifidum, and also P. Sao Paulo.  I thought I was going
to get
> totally different plants.  I don't know if I'm right on all of this, but
from
> what I've been able to figure out, selloum and bipinnatifidum are
synonomous.  I
> think Sao Paulo is another variety of splitleaf philodendron.  However,
Sao
> Paulo might be just another name for P. bipinnatifidum, but this is for
someone
> else to say.  This year I ordered another split leaved Pilodendron that is
very
> similar to these three called P. lundii.  I did find that P. lundii is a
> different 'looking' form of bipinnatifidum.  Maybe more compact, bushy?
> Selloum/bipinnatifidum will grow into a tree form with a trunk in time.
>
> Someone else on the list might be able to clear this up.  I would be
interested
> in knowing the true facts on the splitleaf philodendrons also.
>

> Hope this helps,
> Susan Cox
>

> 5/8/03 6:15:22 AM, Leslie Georgeson <skinnychick2@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >Could someone please tell me what the difference between Philodendron
Selloum
> and Philodendron Bipinnafididum is?  I ordered a packet of each type of
seed,
> they look the same, but the Bipinnatifidum says it needs stratification
before
> planting.  When I researched these plants, they appear to be identical.
So,