Re: [aroid-l] Selloum/Bipinnatifidum

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Selloum/Bipinnatifidum
  • From: "Eduardo Goncalves" edggon@hotmail.com
  • Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 02:18:30 +0000

Dear Susan,

I have been trying to recognize species in the P. bipinnatifidum complex for at least 6 years and I have learned that the leaves are useless. There are so many forms, even when you are dealing with wild forms that you couldnŽt say they are the same thing. People used this natural variation to make cultivars that are more or less uniform in any leafy aspect. But most material I have seen in the USA are based on the goodŽnŽold Philodendron bipinnatifidum. Philodendron mello-barretoanum is ocasionally seen, mainly because it was spread by Roberto Burle-Marx. Philodendron lundii is pretty rare outside Brazil, despite it is the main cultivated species in Central Brazil (mainly Brasilia).

Very best wishes,