Re: [aroid-l] Selloum/Bipinnatifidum

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Selloum/Bipinnatifidum
  • From: "Eduardo Goncalves" edggon@hotmail.com
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 19:46:43 +0000

My dear friend Julius,

Just to answer your comments: Yes, I have seen real P. bipinnatifidum in USA (mostly in Botanical Gardens), but considering you have a better sampling of cultivated material, I wouldn´t be surprised if P. mello-barretoanum was the main cultivated big Philo there in USA. Philodendron mello-barretoanum was spread in Brazil by Roberto Burle-Marx, that was part of a very active group of plant traders there in Florida, so there was time enough to spread this plant for nurseries coast to coast.
I have seen in the wild only plants of P. mello-barretoanum with a pure green spathe, but a few cultivated material have a spathe that is purplish outside (mainly along the margins), so this aspect can be easily selected by growers. Growers can do anything!

Very best wishes,

Dear Susan,

I`m going to take this opportunity to put in a plug for our International
Aroid Society! If you are or become a member ($20.00/year), you will have
access to some fantastic information by authors like Dr. Eduardo Goncalves
who, in the latest issue of our journal '"Aroideaea" published a most
interesting paper on this group of Philodendron species. In the previous
journal there was another paper also with great information, photos and
illustrations also on species within this group of Philodendrons!
In reading Eduardo`s note to you and the list, and reading his truncated
'key' to the species in this group, it would seem to me that based on his
comments about P. mello-barretoanum, with its hard scales on its stem that
do not easily detach (I have received a pretty severe laceration on my hand
caused by my careless handling of a plant by these spine/knife-like
scales!!), it, and NOT p. bipinnatifidum is the species in massive
tissue-culture cultivation here in the U.S.A. As seen in the latest issue
of Aroideana, our paper describing P. xanadu as a good species, hehein S.
Florida the 'local' and very common Philodendron which is sold locally as P.
'selloum' but which for years was thought to be P. bipinnatifidum, has a
huge spathe with a green exterior, and persistent and HARD spines on its
stem. Eduardo says that in true P. bipinnatifidum the spathe can vary in
color, so my question is what color spathe does P. mello-barretoanum have?
Remember, my friends, the study of aroids is far from complete, we are
learning new 'stuff' every day!

WPB, Florida.