Re: [aroid-l] Malanga Amarilla (Amarillo?)

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Malanga Amarilla (Amarillo?)
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 05:03:30 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "The Thaumaturgist" <asitkghosh@yahoo.com>
To: <aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu>
Sent: Sunday, May 18, 2003 2:45 PM
Subject: [aroid-l] Malanga Amarilla (Amarillo?)

Dear Asit,

Yes!   From a horticultural point of view, the leaves are quite different to
the other Xanthosomas that I have seen in cultivation, they are a beautiful
silver-gray, and there is no naked sinus, it is 'full' all the way down.
From a culinary point of view, the flavor is of corn and peanut flour, the
texture a bit 'woody', so I use it grated then mixed w/ a little wheat
flour, grated onion, an egg, and use it for dumplings in split-pea soup!
Superb stuff!

Good Growing,