Re: [aroid-l] Universal measuring device

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Universal measuring device
  • From: "danny wilson" <mudwasp_@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 07:19:30 -0700

The #2 pencil is a good idea, but i have broken many of them when i fall face down or roll down a hill.  I was thinking about this topic last night and thought, "Why not a 9 volt battery?"  Im sure everyone has access to one, used or not.  That is what im going to start using now.  But then again, i dont think it would do much good next to an A. titanum flower, but how many of those do we come across every year?
-Danny Wilson

>From: "G. D. M." <doji@interpac.net>
>To: <aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu>
>Subject: [aroid-l] Universal measuring device
>Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 20:43:47 -1000
>Dear Aroiders,
>I have been racking my brain for a few months trying to come up with a proposal for us all.  Those of us that are new to Aroids, or have not been able to see many species, would be greatly assisted by the inclusion in the pictures of the specimens a universally recognized "thing" that we could all find to determine the size of the specimen or flower.  Something that is common in all lands, more or less.  I thought of the Euro, but have never seen one nor am I likely to do so.  And I doubt that the average enthusiast in Asia, Africa, Europe, etc. has ever seen an American quarter.
>A solid object is easier to carry, and less subject to damage than a metric plastic, wood, or metal measuring device, and is less subject to damage.  This may be a futile gesture, but I think that the collective international minds reading and contributing to this forum might be able to determine a universally available object that would work.
>An example (extreme) the picture of Alocasia robusta 'Sarawak' that is at  http://www.malesiana.com/plant/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=AL-43-1
>would not be as dramatic without the man standing below it.  And a pocket sized object would be lost in the picture.  But most plants could have it worked in for scale.
>Thank you for listening.     Respectfully, Gary in the middle of the Pacific Ocean

Is your PC infected? Get a FREE online computer virus scan from McAfee® Security.