Re: [aroid-l] Universal measuring device

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Universal measuring device
  • From: Paul Tyerman <ptyerman@ozemail.com.au>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 09:00:11 +1000

At 12:20  10/05/04 -0400, you wrote:
>EXCEPT some islands in the WEST INDIES.  Not one can on the Island of
>Jamaica, at least not in the 19 years I've traveled there...Christian

And also unfortunately from this point of view, the ml amounts (and
therefore the size) of cans in varying countries differ dramatically.  I
used to collect Coca-Cola paraphrenalia and the variance in the size of
soft drink cans between countries is phenomenol.  Some of them literally
are twice the height of others, plus variance from tall and thin to short
and fat (sort of sounds like differences in people doesn't it <grin>).

So unfortunately even if there were cans they wouldn't be a standard size.
I had no idea of this until I actually started collecting, and when you
stand different cans beside each other the differences are dramatic.

If you're talking individual flowers then a ruler of some description would
give people a scope, be it inches or cm as it can be worked out at least.
I'd imagine that most countries have some length measuring device that can
be used in this way?  Just a thought.

Paul Tyerman

Growing.... Galanthus, Erythroniums, Fritillarias, Cyclamen, Crocus,
Cyrtanthus, Oxalis, Liliums, Hellebores, Aroids, Irises plus just about
anything else that doesn't move!!!!!