Re: [aroid-l] Another Unknown Caladium

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Another Unknown Caladium
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 23:10:20 +0000

From: elizabeth@begoniac.com
To: aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu
Subject: [aroid-l] Another Unknown Caladium
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 22:29:44 -0400 (EDT)

Hello Elizabeth and Friends,

I sure can, this is Caladium schomburgki, a species found in Venezuela and Guiana. It occurs in many colors and slightly different leaf shapes, some broader and a few slender and long enough to be called 'ribbon leaf' Caladiums. This one may be from Dewey`s Nursery, he sells one much like this that was collected in Venezuela MANY years ago by his friend Ralph ( as far as I know the eldest IAS member!). It is a VERY vigorous grower that quickly multiplies into many corms. Note the gland-like tissue where the leaf meets the peduncle, these resemble the 'nectaries' that are found on some tree-leaves which excrete nectar to attract ants which protect these leaves against chewing insects and mammals, but I have not obseved any liquid being excreted by these structures. They do not occur on all C. schom.`s, the pink one from Trinidad and Caladium 'changur' do not have them. There are several photos of this species on Dr. Paul Resslar`s web page which is likked to the MOBOT aroid site.
This species has been used extensively in breeding programs, it is crossed w/ C. bicolor to produce commercial vars. such as 'Gingerland' and Florida Princess".

Good Growing all,

Can anyone identify this caladium?

Elizabeth Mateus