Re: [Aroid-l] Alocasia Scott#1 and #2

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Alocasia Scott#1 and #2
  • From: "Scott Hyndman" hyndman@aroid.org
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 18:55:10 +0500

Jeremy,

You can see pictures of the liners (small starter plants) of these Alocasia
on Lester Kallus' Webshots site at the following links:

Scott 1: http://community.webshots.com/photo/311526645/311531895VWHwvY

Scott 2: http://community.webshots.com/photo/311526645/311532306YgoCTz

I found the Scott 1 Alocasia at the Chatachuk plant market in Bangkok over a
year ago.  It is an A. longiloba cultivar with very distinctive pink petioles.

The Scott 2 Alocasia was found in the rainforest of Phuket on the same trip.
The juvenile leaves are silver green.  Adult plants are light green and about
a meter tall.  Once I locate some images of the adult plants I'll see if
Peter Boyce can identify the species.

Agristarts has given the Alocasia these temporary names for the time being
until more interesting cultivar names can be developed.  If anyone has some
ideas I would be happy to hear them.

Regards,  Scott
Scott Hyndman
Vero Beach, Florida