Re: [Aroid-l] Alocasia robusta & Colocasia gigantea

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Alocasia robusta & Colocasia gigantea
  • From: RAYMOMATTLA@cs.com
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 19:04:33 EDT

I have lots of success with Colocasia gigantea here in the Upstate South Carolina area where we recieve temps near 10F every few years.  In fact, I accidentally left a C. gigantea bulb out all year long....above ground, a few years ago, and it survived and sprouted.  The low that winter was 19F at my house.  C. esculenta is hit or miss and when it does survive it comes back slower and with less vigor than the C. gigantea.  Both are doing well this year but it was a very mild winter, (with temps in the 70's nearly all the way through January.)
Michael M.