Re: [Aroid-l] Alocasia robusta & Colocasia gigantea

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Alocasia robusta & Colocasia gigantea
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 23:32:46 +0000

>> Are either one of these plants known as &quot;Malanga&quot; ? I picked up some malanga at the grocery store and they have been living happily under a rainspout. Linda <<

Dear Linda,

"Malanga' is a generic Latin name for many root veggies, both Xanthosoma and Colocasia species/vars. There is a web page that gives many of the local names and their I.D.`s, but darn me if I know where it is and how to pull it up! Thy the IAS web site at MOBOT, I know that there were links to this page there.
You MOST probably have one of the species of edible Xanthosomas, they are more commonly sold in Supermarkets, though I have seen on rarer occasions vars. of true Colocasia esculenta being sold as malanga Isleana or malanga cabesa. They are larger and almost round, while Xanthosoma vars. are longer, more flask-shaped.

Good growing,

Aroid-l mailing list