Re: [Aroid-l] Titanic Miracle in the Making

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Titanic Miracle in the Making
  • From: "Susan Cox" snalice@dslextreme.com
  • Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 20:00:48 -0700

Can someone (anyone) explain the dowel poked through the tip of the titanum
spadix which seems to be hung from the ceiling in the 1940 photo on the
attached page?  It's the second photo from the left, top row.  I would like
to understand the reason this was done.  I can guess (and I love guessing),
but I'm usually wrong.  Why was the dowel put there?  Could it be my eyes?
Could it be something hung from the window instead?  Would you do something
like this if you wanted to dry the spadix for botanical study?  To keep it
in some kind of 'shape' rather than letting it melt at the plant's base?
That's not a guess, it's a question.....Oh, maybe it is to prevent the need
to clean up the spathe after collapse around the fertile seeds?   I give up!
Why?  Is there really a stick there?

Are they going to be showing the two inflorescenses?

Susan Cox

Aroid-l mailing list