Re: [Aroid-l] Philodendron glaucophyllum

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Philodendron glaucophyllum
  • From: "Peter Boyce" botanist@malesiana.com
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 12:49:55 +0800

There are a lot of rules governing the publication of species and culton names and although to folks not regularly describing novel names these rules may seem arcane in fact such rules are vital since they prevent the uncontrolled proliferation of names and all the subsequent confusion that will occur; especially important in taxonomically large horticulturally important genera such as Philodendron.
When Tom says that there is no such name, he means that the name is not formally (validly & effectively) published.