RE: [Aroid-l] Philodendron glaucophyllum

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Philodendron glaucophyllum
  • From: "W. George Schmid" hostahill@bellsouth.net
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 12:57:23 -0400

To Wit:
Well Steve, per our private discussion as to the true identity of the elusive species P. mandaianum, or hybrid P. X 'Mandaianum', the latter of which is pictured and described in Exotica and Tropica (Graf), and other sources as well, Tom's reply of 'no such name' is most interesting.

So can we call this plant Philodendron hastatum 'Glaucophyllum'? It differs from the regular ph. hastatum in blueish leaves.

The governing codes are the International Code of Botanical Nomenclature for taxa and the International Code of Nomenclature for Cultivated Plants for culta (cultivars). If a species name is not published according to the ICBN rules, it is not accepted. To extablish cultivar names, proper orthography has to be used. As in the above hybrid P. X 'Mandaianum' can not be established, because Art. 13.3 of the ICNCP does not permit the use of the multiplication sign (X) in a cultivar name. If he correct cultivar name formulation should be P. 'Mandaianum', if such a name has been established in the Aroid cultivar registry.

Philodendron hastatum 'Glaucophyllum' would be an acceptable cultivar name only if P. glaucophyllum was published before 1 January 1959. If it was published after this date (either validly or invalidly under the ICBN)), this Latin formulation can not be used as a cultivar name and a name in a modern language must be selected under the ICNCP and established in the Aroid cultivar registry.

Best, George

W. George Schmid
Hosta Hill R. G.
USDA Zone 7a - 1188 feet (361m) AMSL