Re: [Aroid-l] Philodendron ID?

This looks to me like the self-heading p. "Show Boat", which is a sport of p. xanadu. I have one indoors and it makes a robust plant, a fast grower and not fussy. It looks really impressive as it grows and the trunk lengthens.

Here is a description:

‘Showboat’ -- on left, compared to Xanadu on right -- a compact landscape type similar to P. selloum, it is a sport of ‘Xanadu.’ Grows to about 4' tall and handles sun better than its sport parent. It grows more upright and the leaves also get larger, to about 18" tall under favorable conditions (shade, moisture, fertilizer). Like its parent, it seems to handle frost about like P. selloum, around 20°F or USDA zone 9/Sunset zone 15 and higher. Best with shade to part sun, regular watering and feeding, and at least average drainage. It will tolerate some dryness when established and always makes a great, compact outdoor container alternative to P. selloum. rev 8/02

Tom Vincze

Hello all

I purchased a nice probably very common Philodendron at a master gardener’s plant sale this weekend for $6.00 and I was hoping someone might be able to help me give it a name.  Attached are some pics.  There is a dollar bill to show the size of the largest leaf.  It was growing on a sun porch and the person said she has had it for 3 years and it had only one leaf when she got it.

Thanks Steve

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Aroid-l mailing list