[Aroid-l] Philodendron ID/Opinion change

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Philodendron ID/Opinion change
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 14:07:10 +0000

From : 	Bluesea <chammer@cfl.rr.com>
Sent : Sunday, May 21, 2006 2:41 AM
To : "Discussion of aroids" <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject : Re: [Aroid-l] Philodendron ID?

Dear All,

I dug around and managed to find the original I.D. request w/ the 4 photo attachments, and on further review I am now certain that this plant/plants is/are P. xanadu (maybe 'showboat', said to be a cultivar of P. xanadu), a 'self-header'. The final photo (005f.jpg) was decisive, as it pretty clearly illustrates the rhizome or stem, roots, and the intravaginal squamules (thorn-like structures) around the leaf bases and leaf scars are clearly visible, all point to the plant being a self-header..
What confused me was that the plants are being grown on a totem and probably in low-light conditions which have produced a non-typical plant/plants.
SORRY!

Julius
WPB,
FLORIDA

Steve, is this a self-heading, semi self-heading or vining Philodendron??? If it's vining, I think it could be P. mayoii. The reddish parts of the leaf are typical of
mayoii. We really need to know the growth habit of this Philo to make an attempt at an ID.

Russ
central Fla