RE: [Aroid-l]Ed/Denis/Steve-Philo ID?

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l]Ed/Denis/Steve-Philo ID?
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 09:57:07 +0000

From : 	Eduardo Goncalves <edggon@hotmail.com>
Sent : Wednesday, May 24, 2006 2:58 PM
To : aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
Subject : RE: [Aroid-l] Philodendron ID?

Hello All,

It seems that there may be some confusion about which plant is being discussed, as we keep forgetting to change the 'Subject" line ( I am as guilty of this as anyone!), which at present reads "Philodendron ID?" Denis has correctly and kindly ID`d the vining-type Philo. w/ the newly emerged orange leaf as Philo. "Prince of orange', a hybrid/sport of unknown parentage, and at this point of unknown origin, commonly produced commercially by the thousand/million in tissue culture, giving rise to even more color variations/sports.
I (and others) ID`d the self-header as Philo. xanadu, now with some new var./cultivar name tacked on to the end, (probably to try to avoid the patent laws against duplication), THIS is the one Dr. Eduardo Goncalves is addressing in HIS note, also with the subject "Philodendron ID?", kindly sharing his immense knowledge of this group of Philodendrons with us.
P. xanadu is ALSO duplicated/cloned by the million (?) under patent here in Florida, also using tissue culture, a method well documented to produce sports/mutations, I see it in P. xanadu and in P. 'selloum' (P. bipinnatifidium) all the time, some w/ red viens, some w/ more/finer divisions of the leaf blade, some more compact and smaller, so one could select any number of 'sports' and name them if one was so inclined.
SO---let`s try to pay more attention on this list to modifying the "Subject:" line to reflect exactly what we are writing about, please.
Great growing to all,

Dear Steve,
As Julius already pointed out, it is a Philodendron from the subgenus Meconostigma (self-heading Philo), like P. bipinnatifidum (including "selloum"), P. mello-barretoanum, etc. In my opinion, it is a dwarf form of a regular species with bipinnatifid leaf blade (P. mello-barretoanum, P. lundii or P. bipinnatifidum). I couldn't see the squamules (small persistent or deciduous thorns within leaf sheath) in detail at the stem, so I don't know exactly from which species this misfit came. If I had a closer picture of the stem, I can say exactly from which species it came.

Very best wishes,

Dr. Eduardo G. Goncalves
Universidade Catolica de Brasilia
Curso de Ciencias Biologicas