RE: [Aroid-l] Philodendron ID?

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Philodendron ID?
  • From: "Eduardo Goncalves" edggon@hotmail.com
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 14:58:47 +0000

Dear Steve,

As Julius already pointed out, it is a Philodendron from the subgenus Meconostigma (self-heading Philo), like P. bipinnatifidum (including "selloum"), P. mello-barretoanum, etc. In my opinion, it is a dwarf form of a regular species with bipinnatifid leaf blade (P. mello-barretoanum, P. lundii or P. bipinnatifidum). I couldn't see the squamules (small persistent or deciduous thorns within leaf sheath) in detail at the stem, so I don't know exactly from which species this misfit came. If I had a closer picture of the stem, I can say exactly from which species it came.

Very best wishes,

Eduardo.

Dr. Eduardo G. Goncalves
Universidade Catolica de Brasilia