[Aroid-l] Somewhat OT: non-aroid plant articles

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Somewhat OT: non-aroid plant articles
  • From: Steve Marak samarak@gizmoworks.com
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 14:42:05 -0500 (CDT)

I ran across a couple of plant-related but non-aroid articles this week that I
found interesting, and knowing the diversity of this group's interests thought
I'd pass them along.

The June issue of Natural History's cover article is "Origins of Floral
Diversity", by Amy Litt, director of the NYBG plant genomics program. It
discusses, basically, how development of flower structure from floral meristem
is controlled. Trust me, it's not written at a very technical level and isn't
nearly as horribly dry as that sentence sounds; if you've wondered about what
might be going on in flower doubling or other floral mutations you'll love
this. Unfortunately this article doesn't seem to be available online at all.

A short (and less technical) article discussing work on plant nectars and the
various compounds found in them is in the May 13, 2006 issue of Science News,
and that can be found online and doesn't require a subscription:

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20060513/bob10.asp

Steve

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@gizmoworks.com