[Aroid-l] Aroid Picture of the Day

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Aroid Picture of the Day
  • From: "D. Christopher Rogers" <crogers@ecoanalysts.com>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 12:03:19 -0700

Every morning that I am not off in the field somewhere I turn on my computer, bring up my favorites menu and take a gander at the Aroid picture of the day. It is my custom to look at the picture and guess the identity of the specimen du jour, in an effort to develop my aroid taxonomic abilities. Then I click on the image to see how far off I am. I then look up the genus in my copy of Mayo, Bogner and Boyce, if I am not readily familiar with the taxon. It is fun and I learn a lot.

Today’s aroid specimen to ID was perched happily upon an elephant. Now, I have heard of various forms of plants growing on nonsoil substrates, some growing on rocks (geophytes) some growing on trees (epiphytes). But this is my first elephyte. But what is it??? Is it an Amorphophallus? Mayo, Bogner and Boyce are strangely silent on the subject. Maybe it’s an elephifiknow.

Can anyone else offer an identification?

D. Christopher Rogers

Invertebrate Ecologist/Taxonomist

((,///////////=====<

EcoAnalysts, Inc.

(530) 406-1178

166 Buckeye Street

Woodland CA 95695 USA

Invertebrate Taxonomy

● Invertebrate Ecological Studies

● Bioassessment and Study Design

● Endangered Invertebrate Species

● Zooplankton

● Periphyton/ Phytoplankton

Moscow, ID ● Bozeman, MT ● Woodland, CA ● Neosho, MO ● Selinsgrove, PA

www.ecoanalysts.com