Re: [Aroid-l] arums + arisaema triphyllum

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] arums + arisaema triphyllum
  • From: "Peter Boyce" <botanist@malesiana.com>
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 06:34:17 +0800

Dear Jani,

It is certainly possible that some of your Arum do not flower because of cold winters, especially the coastal Mediterranean species (such as A. dioscoridis, A. creticum, A. italicumA. purpureospathum, &c.) which experience a cool damp winter during which most of their foliage development occurs following the autumn emergence of leaves.

However, for species from continental climates (such as A. rupicola, A. korolkowii, &c.) the more crucial aspect to ensuring flowering is hot summers to 'ripen' the tuber. In nature these continental species experience a short, warm, wet spring (wetness enhanced by snow melt), then a long and very hot (40+ C) dry summer followed by a short, warm, wet autumn during which root development starts but no aerial shoot emerges. The very deep (often nearly 1 m down) tubers pass the intense winter in a 'ready to go' state and burst into growth with the onset of spring, developing foliage, flowering and fruiting in the space of 3 months, with fruit dispersal occurring as the summer heat and drought begins to bite.

In order to copy this you need to give these species a long, dry summer rest BUT you need to be careful doing this in pots since in the confines of a pot the tubers can overheat and desiccate. Remember that in nature the tubers are very deep in the soil and buffered from the extreme heat of the summer and also never fully dry; they tend to favour limestone-derived terra-rossa clays that are not only ultra-fertile but also moisture retentive.

Best wishes

Peter