[Aroid-l] Re: Arlan`s Philo. adamantinum

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Re: Arlan`s Philo. adamantinum
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 20:31:34 +0000

From : 	a san juan <kalim1998@yahoo.com>
Sent : 	Monday, May 7, 2007 3:14 AM
To : 	aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
Subject : 	Re: [Aroid] I.D.'ing some Meconostigmas ex: Brazil

Dear Arlan,

This is good news! Please send me a jpeg/photo of a leaf of the plant in question!! Also, check my 'key' below, as some/most of the plants that grew from seed labeled as P. adamantinum and P. saxicolum grew to be 'something' close to P. bipinnatifidum/'selloum', but are deff. NOT P. adamantinium or P. saxicolum! I just received a photo of one such plant, and I will forward it to you after this. Also check my 'key' (below)---- in P. adamantinum, the distance from the BOTTOM of the sinuses (divisions) when measured to the mid rib DECREASES as you measure them from the tip of the anterior division up towards the petiole juncture, while exactly the OPPOSITE is true of any P. bipinnatifidium-type plant. Check and tell me what you see in YOUR plant ex: Brian Williams! Bear in mind that we should EXPECT the plants grown for seed of P. bipinnatifidium to vary from each other, and especially when compared to any plant of P. bipinnatifidium in the U.S.A., the reasoning being that presumably ALL P. bipinnatifidium/'selloum' here in the U.S.A. are out of tissue culture, and so are clones of one another, and so will show little or no differences to each other. The plants from seed SHOULD show differences as they are NOT genitically alike!

The Best,

Julius Boos

I got one from brian williams labeled "P. adamantinum" and it looks like it is growing as such. It definitely is not a P. bipinnatifidum at least.<<