RE: [Aroid-l] Konjac bloom question

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Konjac bloom question
  • From: "Charles Gramling" <chazmg1@citlink.net>
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 15:00:19 -0500

Thanks to all for some pointers on where to look. I would not have thought
putrescine and cadaverine would have been the names coined, and
appropriately so, for the compounds that make up the aroma. It still amazes
me that you could almost see the stalk growing, putting it somewhere between
the weeds in my garden and a snail. The heat the spadix generates is just
icing on the unusual process.

I had the tuber in my store during the growth phase and it attracted much
attention and comment. On Monday of last week after reaching 35" the dead
mouse smell, or so it seemed to me (I know that one well), was more than
appropriate and I moved it outdoors until Friday. The bloom was still in
pretty good shape almost 1 week later which was surprising. It is also fun
to tell folks who the beastie's relatives are. All in all a very satisfying

Chuck Gramling