Re: [Aroid-l] Konjac bloom question

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Konjac bloom question
  • From: Douglas Ewing <dewing@u.washington.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 09:17:10 -0700 (PDT)

Chuck, much of what is known about this process was started by work done by the late Baastian Meeuse who did his research primarily on Sauromatum guttatum here at the Univ. of Washington. Hanna Skubatch worked with him near the end of his life, and continued on with investigating this process.

You will find publications that deal with the unusual respiratory pathway that the mitochondria that are concentrated in the spadix utilize to produce heat.

Meeuse was born in the early 1900s in Bogor, Indonesia ( Dutch colony at that time). His family returned to the Netherlands for his high school and university training. He joined the faculty of the Dept. of Botany here in the early 1950's. Throughout his life, he remained a passionate student ( and teacher) of all aspects of biology, but he had a particular fondness for pollination systems, biochemistry, and aroids.

I remember him with fondness,       Doug

Doug Ewing, Greenhouse Manager (206) 543-0436
Department of Biology
University of Washington
Box 351800
24 Kincaid Hall ( for UPS and FEDEX)