[Aroid-l] New Dark Alocasia

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] New Dark Alocasia
  • From: LARIANN GARNER <AROIDIAN@worldnet.att.net>
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 17:16:57 -0400

Fellow Aroiders,

I found this Alocasia at a mom n'pop nursery in south Florida; I had gone there because they seemed to have a lot of Colocasias and Alocasias. This plant stopped me in my tracks, and of course I got one for my work at Aroidia. Has anyone ever seen this plant or know the species? I'm confident it is not Alocasia plumbea Nigra, or the one people are calling "Jurassic Dark", which is supposed to be a variety of Alocasia plumbea Nigra.

I think that it is a chimeric variegant of Alocasia sarawakensis, based on morphological similarities. Once I see it bloom, I will know for sure.

Here's the link:

Aroidia Research
Aroid-l mailing list