RE: [Aroid-l] Synandrospadix hardiness???

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Synandrospadix hardiness???
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 20:56:33 +0000

From : 	Adam Black <epiphyte1@earthlink.net>
Sent : 	Saturday, May 26, 2007 1:25 AM
To : 	Discussion of aroids <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject : 	[Aroid-l] Synandrospadix hardiness???

Hello Adam,

It was good meeting you again last sat. in Miami!
I have checked the range in South America where Synandrospadix occurs. It is along the base of the E. Andes, from S. Peru, extending South through Bolivia into N. Argentia. It also extends its range west across Paraguay and into W. Brazil. I have been to Southern Bolivia just North of their border w/ Argentina in their winter, and though it got close to or to freezing at night (there was a 'scum' of ice on the puddles on the iron oil-rig drilling floor), it QUICKLY warmed up during the morning, so that by noon there were clouds of rare butterflys and other insects out and feeding! WONDERFUL winter climate! I`d bet that any tuberous Aroids in that area were safely in dormancy deep underground! Unless your plant`s parents came from a population WAY South, I`d say that you should protect your plant from any hard, protracted freezes! In our Florida winter, your plant will be dormant, and the tuber/corm is easily stored in a paper bag in the garage with just a puff of the fungicide 'Captan'. It will sprout come spring and let you know when to plant it out! IF not attacked by nematodes, it will grow to a considerable size and fullness, and bloom multiple inflorescences at a time, seed are plentyful as it seems to pollinate or have pollinators in Florida.

Good Growing!

Julius

Hi everybody,

I purchased a Synandrospadix vermitoxicus last weekend and was curious if anyone has ever tested the cold hardiness of this species. I am in "zone 8" of northern Florida where we normally see several hard freezes each winter. I will most likely protect this plant for now until I have additional material to experiment with, but it would be nice to have one less plant to try to fit into my greenhouse in the winter.

Thanks!
Adam Black

____