Re: [Aroid-l] Synandrospadix hardiness???

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Synandrospadix hardiness???
  • From: Tony Avent <tony@plantdelights.com>
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 08:25:26 -0400

Adam:

The hardiness of synandrospadix seems to depend on where the plant originated. Most of the plants in the trade seem to be from Uruguay. Synandrospadix that we have tried from Uruguay were not hardy for us, by my accessions from Northern Argentina have been fine in the ground for many years...coldest of 8 degrees F., so far. They flower nicely every season now. The Uruguay plants also had leaves that were much less glaucous than plants from Northern Argentina. I hope this helps.

Tony Avent
Plant Delights Nursery @
Juniper Level Botanic Garden
9241 Sauls Road
Raleigh, North Carolina  27603  USA
Minimum Winter Temps 0-5 F
Maximum Summer Temps 95-105F
USDA Hardiness Zone 7b
email tony@plantdelights.com
website  http://www.plantdelights.com
phone 919 772-4794
fax  919 772-4752
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself...at least three times" - Avent

Adam Black wrote:
Hi everybody,

I purchased a Synandrospadix vermitoxicus last weekend and was curious if anyone has ever tested the cold hardiness of this species. I am in "zone 8" of northern Florida where we normally see several hard freezes each winter. I will most likely protect this plant for now until I have additional material to experiment with, but it would be nice to have one less plant to try to fit into my greenhouse in the winter.

Thanks!
Adam Black